Thursday 17 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Cover stock.



Went to talk to James in digital print this morning to talk about printing the cover of my book design. For the nature of my design, I want to produce something low cost, yet high quality, that could be distributed throughout schools in vast numbers throughout the United Kingdom, with 40,000 books being distributed to school children per month (a new book per month for the promotional reading scheme). Ordinarily, I would propose that this would be litho printed, but for the purposes of the individual print and time constraints, I will be digitally printing.

James suggested I work with a simple 250gsm matte stock, which would be simple, cost effective, and emulated this cover of 'The Great Gatsby' which I used as an example of the type of weight and print coverage I wanted to achieve. Makes my job pretty easy too (no more stock searches). For my inner pages I will be using a bulky newsprint stock (to be blogged later) and will use a white 250gsm stock for my other printed media (bookmark, reading pack packaging, etc) to keep consistency within my product range. 

(Please excuse the Photo Booth image... trying not to put off blogging and take photos whilst at Uni and not at home...having forgotten my camera...)

No comments:

Post a Comment