Wednesday 16 November 2011

Design Production for Print//Good Is//Embossing/Debossing



(Please excuse the poor lighting... the joys of having a powercut and waiting up to a month to have your lights re-wired by an Engineer... student living for the win)

After advice today to try out embossing today in my feedback session, it gave me a push in the right direction to try the method out. Last week I had ordered a small selection of emboss tools, though had yet to use them due to project demands. Originally, I had intended to use them with cartridge stock- but wavering last week between cartridge and reinforced card, I decided against it for the meanwhile.
However, I now intended to print my design outcomes in cartridge- the colour is much softer and the texture is wonderfully tactile and appears far more considered- a one of, or valuable piece of design. 

On a printed test run slip cover, I embossed the small dot representing Leeds (the location of my hypothetical Wes Anderson Film Festival) and debossed the logo. I feel that the emboss effect worked really well- again, enhancing the tactile quality whilst still remaining quite subtle. Due to the delicacy of line of the logo it was slightly awkward to deboss- embossing (applying pressure to the reverse side) would be far more crisper in it's final design.

I have decided that I will apply this to my final design- consistently appying to all of my logo designs throughout my printed media and publications as well as any other key details or embellishments- such as the example of the location dot above.

No comments:

Post a Comment