Thursday 3 November 2011

Design Production for Print//Wes Anderson Market Research.



Inspired by friend and fellow GD'er Beth, and an enterprise talk about targeted marketing- I decided, to create a bit more information about my infographic, informative booklets with the aid of market research and questionnaires. Initially, I went onto Wes Anderson film fan pages on Facebook- a great platform for easy, effective networking and communication. However, I then decided to do a little more immediate work, and look into groups- and focus on the members, defining their backgrounds and what the "average" Wes fan is all about.
 

I then went on to research specific targeted Wes fans to generate more information about his current film audience- targeting a specifically nerdy Wes fan club site- with a comfortable amount of members (there is another fan group with around 40, 000 members... though I felt this was a bit too wide a search considering my current time constraints...)
I decided to pick twenty names (unfortunately only eighteen images screen shot below... seems I have got a bit butter fingered in my screen- shotting frenzy) and evaluated these particular factors to generate an average/basis of Wes fan knowledge:

- AGE
- GENDER
- COUNTRY
- UNIVERSITY? (GIVES IMPRESSION OF EDUCATION//WEALTH//CLASS)
- CAREER//STUDY


The information collected was really interesting, and, thankfully for me, was pleased to see that my proposed target audience was pretty much bang on in terms of existing Wes fans. Whilst I don't want to close doors to any potential cinema goer, I feel it's really important to focus on a specific target market, particularly in terms of financial costs for advertising- this way you know that you will receive the best results, and success, possible.

My results are as follows:

AGE:
- 19
- 21
- 21
- 21
- 21
- 21
- 21
- 21
- 22
- 22
- 22
- 23
- 23
- 25
- 26
- 27
- 27
- 30
- 32
- 35

GENDER:

- F
- F
- F
- F
- F
- F
- F
- F
- F
- F
- M
- M
- M
- M
- M
- M
- M
- M
- M
- M

COUNTRY:
 
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- USA
- CANADA
- LONDON
- SWEDEN

UNIVERSITY?:

- N
- N
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y
- Y

STUDY/CAREER:
- ENGLISH
- ENGLISH
- ENGLISH
- ENGLISH
- ENGLISH
- ENGLISH
- ART
- ART
- ART
- FILM
- FILM
- FILM
- FILM
- MIDDLE GRADES EDUCATION
- HEALTH INSURANCE BROKER
- INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
- THEOLOGY
- STUDIO MANAGER
- ECONOMICS
- SCIENCE
THE AVERAGE AGE// 24
THE AVERAGE GENDER// MALE
THE AVERAGE COUNTRY// USA
THE AVERAGE EDUCATION// UNIVERSITY GRADUATE
THE AVERAGE CAREER// ENGLISH/LITERATURE/WRITING

AVERAGE AUDIENCE MEMBER: TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD AMERICAN ENGLISH GRADUATE MALE.
Simples.

This sort of information will prove, I'm sure, invaluable throughout my design process- in distinguishing the right character, tone of voice, colour palette, etc- and a great boost of confidence to see that I was initially in the right direction. Now to apply it to designs!



No comments:

Post a Comment