Wednesday 2 November 2011

Design Production for Print//Nets/Layouts & Formatting.


For the vast majority of today, I worked on planning out my designs for formatting and net-building. For me, it was a great opportunity to get down some much-needed, illustrative drafts and design development, along with focusing on the fundamental scale, structure and sizing of my design pieces- something that I really want to perfect before I go on to create my designs ready for print. Having been inspired by both existing design in general, a basic formatting knowledge, and particular inspiration from nets found today- which can be found on my Design Context blog, I went on to create my own designs for the following products:

- MAILSHOT TICKET//2 SIDED PRINT
- T-SHIRT DESIGNS
- RSVP MAILSHOT// 2 SIDED PRINT
- INTERIOR MAILSHOT WALLET (PATTERN, NET)
- EXTERIOR MAILSHOT WALLET (NET)
- FILM SCREENING TICKET//2 SIDED PRINT
- 6 SHEET POSTER//BUS SHELL ADVERTISING POSTER
- 4 SHEET POSTER//TRAIN STATION ADVERTISING POSTER
- A3 PULL OUT HOTDOG FOLD MAP
- STATIONARY A3 "YOU ARE HERE" MAP
- A6 DISTRIBUTION FLYER
- PROMOTIONAL BILLBOARD
- POPCORN BOX
- MAILSHOT CONCERTINA BOOKLET
-  STICKER SET//MERCHANDISE
- INTERIOR SIGNAGE AND WAYFINDING
- EXTERIOR SIGNAGE AND WAYFINDING
- TOTE BAG
- DRINKS CARTON
- ICE CREAM CARTON
- INTERVAL SNACK BOX HOLDER
- A5 PROGRAMME//X7//ONE PER FILM, ONE WES
- PRESENTATIONAL PROGRAMME BOX HOLDER
- PRESENTATIONAL PROGRAMME BOX HOLDER SLEEVE


So... yeah... a lot to do. Best get a move on.
I really do want to push myself to create all of these designs. Although I know it will be challenging, I feel this is a great opportunity to put it to the limit and aim for all the possible design outcomes (even though there is still so much more I could add to this list, of course).


Initial diagram sketches (above)- distinguishing my products and basic dimensions for net-construction and digital design at a later stage.


I then went on to draw up my nets and formats to their correct scale (in the case of the 6 sheet poster and billboard, I scaled them down accordingly due to my restrictions on paper sizes). This gave me a great indication of the actual working scale of my items- and I was pleased to have no surprises in terms of my initial designs and, most importantly, maths skills.



Initially, I had planned to keep these design sheets, and then draw up the nets and format sheets again to construct the nets. However, due to time constraints, and, a bit of a lightbulb moment, I decided to cut out these original designs from my drawn-up sheets and use these as a net measure for my designs. This way, I would have not only the name of the net (for ease) but also the dimensions- which proved to be a great source of information, and made it a lot easier for me to distinguish where things made need adjustments, scaling down/up, etc. Generally, I was really pleased with the outcomes- not too many mistakes, though there was the odd schoolboy error- such as missing out a tab on my exterior mailshot envelope (see image directly above) which I hope to ammend easily and effeciently in time for my feedback session tomorrow- where I will showcase a range of completed nets (having made them up again without dimensions and notes on...) and a few examples of the work I have been making on Illustrator- with examples of colour palettes, typography 
and vector-generated design.

No comments:

Post a Comment