Monday 23 May 2011

InDesign Final Design: The Design Process.


The final stages of my InDesign project brief. Having taken a closer look at the brief, and realising that I would need to encorporate at least two images into the design, a bit of "re-gigging" was needed...a great oppurtunity to get more experimental with my layouts and designs...


Because, frankly, I am an idiot, this time I remembered to add gutters to my grid (a little too enthusiastic to get started before, obviously)- 3mm gutters to divide up my page and help the readibility of text-heavy pages.


Although I considered re-designing my layout completely, due to the realisation that I needed at least two images in my design, I decided against it. I was happy with the photographic image of Beth, and I felt the text content was suitable too- it just needed a little re-arranging and manipulation...


Considering a double-sided colour page- encorporating the white onto the other page with the white title header bars and reversed-out white text content- perhaps could have the teal-backed image of Beth, along with similarly coloured designs (from her portfolio) on the other?


Decided to keep the page formats the same- but switch them around. Keeping the originally formatted image of Beth, but larger, and to the original scale dimensions- with a crop. Keeping all the attention to the right-side of the page, with text framing the portrait.
Here, using a section of "pull text" from the written content to act as a hierarchy on the page and attract the attention of the reader- the right page is the main focus. Using my favourite quote from Beth's written segment. Inspiring stuff!


I chose the new title, 'Truly Scrumptious Designs' to reflect Beth's quintessential charming attitude to design, along with her secret yearnings to become a gourmet-muffin chef (naturally)...of which I have highlighted and touched upon in the subtitle. Chosen to right-align the left-hand page, and left-align the right to keep a balance in the centre- also a visual trick, bringing the attention in to the inner margin, and keeping the size of the outer margin wide gives the appearance of more paper, and therefore, content- a visual trick that Lorenzo discussed with us in a workshop that is commonly used by high-end magazines.


Trying to encorporate the multiple images into my design- with quite a geometric, framed and "regimented" layout, I decided to use the white circles as a background layer for the images- ensures that the colour scheme is kept consistent and minimal- the teal green palette of the portrait, along with the white body text.

Along with the title 'Truly Scrumptious Design'- I decided to focus upon a food-inspired project, Beth's latest, for the 'Speaking from Experience' project, which I felt summarises her style, and herself, wonderfully well...


The first image used, her collective illustrative vector foods- not too sure about the colours though. Not very consistent with the design...


To add extra interest, I added another element to the design (which I had considered in my previous experimentations)...adding a dashed line from Beth's portrait to the edge of the page- again, creating more of a grid-like, formal structure.


With the additional images, I decided to stick to a green colour palette to ensure consitency with the rest of the design- with "salad man" and "wrap man" designs. Wasn't too sure about composition of the characters- but I felt both "looking inwards" worked best- almost a reflection of Beth's face...keeps a balance over the two pages.

Satisfied with the design, and confident of it's completition, I went on to save the file as a PDF to print in CMYK. However, frustratingly, when I saved, the image kept coming up with fine lines over the text. Wasn't too sure if this was due to textbox overlapping or pt size- experimented for a while, but not much seemed to change. Very frustrating- definately one to ask technician Mike about tomorrow morning (If I get the chance)...


Again, more experimentation with the design to remove the fine white lines in the PDF document- comprimising on the design, but at this stage, I'm still reasonably new to the programme- hopefully it will be a learning experience.

One last detail was to expand the text box's away from the inner margin- not too much, but enough to ensure that none of the content would be lost if the stock were to be creased (as an actual magazine would be). 


Considering some of the skills constraints for this project, I really am quite pleased with the final result (above). The design is far more abstract than I would normally design, in terms of layout, so the design development has been really exciting and educational.

I feel pleased with what I have achieved, but, most of all, am very glad for the structure of the brief- stretched over such a long duration of time (around two months?!), it really gave me a chance to go back and review my work, to analyse it more carefully, with a rational, as opposed to a nervous or frantic state of mind.

I look forward to more experiments and uses of InDesign in the near future.

TYPEFACES INCLUDE:
- Gill Sans MT Regular
- Gill Sans MT Italic
- Franklin Gothic Medium Italic
- Franklin Gothic Book Italic
- Franklin Gothic Demi Italic

Printed designs

Test prints and my final design for module hand-in...


1. First test print from saved Adobe Acrobat Pro PDF- checking the visual output in B&W.


2. Test print- checking the accurate dimensions on the A3 sheet, suitable pt sizes, etc.


3. Test print direct from InDesign (for curiosity's sake!). Really terrible photo quality, very pixelated photograph. Needs to be a PDF print to retain the high-quality CMYK print.


4. Again, another test from InDesign- awful quality, substituted text quite frustrating- not differentiating quoted speech and introduction with such similar typeface style.


5. Print-test of the dimensions and accuracy of my griding structure- good fold, directly central- works well...no type falling into the inner margin, etc. Gradient on the left page doesn't look to obvious. Good stuff.


6. Final print from Acrobat PDF, really happy with the quality and printed outcome. Textures and definition in the photograph not picked up as much as I woulkd have liked, though it's pretty accurate.


Printing onto high-quality 150gsm glossy stock. Unfortunately, this is only an A4 copy from my home inkjet printer- but the quality is brilliant- really good colours and clear, defined lines. Really happy with the quality- I wish I'd of got into digital print in time for the hand in tomorrow, but I severely under-estimated the bookings at the end of the year. Won't be doing that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment