Monday 9 May 2011

Speaking from Experience: Paper Crafting.


Although I was quite sure that I wanted to pursue paper crafting throughout this project, with reasonably little experience (but a lot of determination!) I challenged myself to spend the whole day executing what would be elements to my food and recipe design photographic set ups...


In these early designs, I have taken a lot of inspiration and direct influence of style from one of my favourite paper craft designers, Sarah Illenberger, whom I have referenced several times on my design context blog (www.s-wilson1013-dc.blogspot.com). To get myself into the swing of the food crafting, I used many of her techniques and styles to create my own- the circular sugar and spice mounds, as well as the slab of butter with the knife-flecked scrapings on top...



However, many of the smaller details I began to develop myself. Such as adding "grooves" onto the tubes of pasta- a very time consuming but rewarding effort- a little extra embellishment made a huge difference to this piece. 
However, this cannot be said for all of the items. Originally, I intended to create a label for the butter packet, but it just looked far too fussy and detailed. I think this paper craft route could lead up to an ephiphany of simplification for me. One of my biggest problems throughout the course so far is that I make things far too fussy, over complicated- and it rarely improves the piece. It's been really rewarding to create something simple that works 100% best..simple. 


...More of my designs. Using a single-hole hole punch to create the circular disks to represent oats, lentils, herbs, etc.


From my experiements today, I have been really pleased with my progress and determination to complete these paper crafted items. Although there would undoubtedly be a great deal more to do, and a solid two weeks of work, I'm certainly up for the challenge. I will continue to create hand-rendered designs, and vector based ones also- hopefully to help develop my paper craft skills, such as "life drawing" of the foodstuffs for a more accurate depiction, as well as net templates and composition designs.

I have also kept a swatch of all of the papers I have used so far, in hopes to create a "swatch booklet" to accompany my design work, almost as a guide for the tutors when it comes to marking the project and the overall module (and, of course, a great excuse for me to make another book!)

Really happy with my progress today, and now have a photography studio booked out for Wednesday 18th May from 9.30-4.30. Again, cutting time slightly fine, but at least then I know everything will definately be finished. 

Using all of these varied found stocks and bright colours has really inspired me today, and I feel as if I've found a style that suits me. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment