Sunday 8 May 2011

Opposites Brief: Cress Writing- The Planting Stage.


Developing the brief by going on to plant my cress seeds to become the varying stages of life and death, a formation for my typefaces and poster/print designs for this OUGD103 live brief.


From my original growing experiment, in which I formed the shape of a heart, the initial growth looked promising, and growing in an orderly and formed way, but now the plant has become somewhat unruly and uncontrollable (after around two weeks of growing). There will definitely need to be some pruning and maintenance involved in the final design and presentation stages to make my text both legible and readable.


I layered the papercut stencil over a sheet of cotton wool (one of the most effective and economic materials for growing cress from!) and scattered the cress seeds inbetween the letterforms...


Unfortunately, due to the contours and texture in the cotton wool, as well as the light weight and lack of structure in the paper, the stencil didn't prove to create as crisp a result as I had hoped for. A comprimise was needed...


Putting this to one side, I started to experiement with my other stencils. In my third poster, my initial idea was to create the linking 'AND' from ungrown cress seeds- depicting another stage of living between the life and death. I over-layed the paper to see what result this would achieve, and it occured to me...if I grew a flatbed of seeds and layered the stencil on top, I could easily photograph the cress grown through the stencil, and therefore creating the same result with a clean and crisp white surface above...


 Let the growing commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment