Monday 23 May 2011

OUGD103- DESIGN PRACTICE 1: End of Module Evaluation.



1. WHAT SKILLS HAVE YOU DEVELOPED THROUGH THIS MODULE AND HOW EFFECTIVELY DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE APPLIED THEM?

-Through this module I have learnt a lot about self-evaluation, and the evaluation of my work. In comparison to the beginning of the course and previous modules, I feel as though I am now far more capable to see faults in my work, and amend them sooner for a more refined outcome.

As well as self-analysis, I feel that I am now far more sophisticated in giving feedback. With guidance and support from the tutors, I feel that I could accurately and constructively assess another classmate's work, giving positive and helpful support.

Practically, I have developed my bookbinding and crafting skills, a particular area of my design practice I was keen to improve upon, now being able to make a wide variety of book styles and binds to an efficient and high-quality level.

2. WHAT APPROACHES TO/METHODS OF RESEARCH HAVE YOU DEVELOPED AND HOW HAVE THEY INFORMED YOUR DESIGN DEVELOPMENT PROCESS?

-My research and source material, I feel, has become far more sophisticated and appropriate throughout this module than any other on the course so far- now researching from specifically design-focused websites, such as the Behance Network, which have really opened up my mind to design and all of it's possibilities.

Through this module I have also expanded my own personal Graphic Design library, purchasing a wide variety of books and magazines of subjects and themes that I particularly falter or have little knowledge of, in hopes of expanding my skills set and capabilities- two recent purchases including 'Computer Arts' magazine, and 'The Production Manual' by Gavin Ambrose.

Because of the wider research, to a more suitable level, my passion for design has really grown- I now have a new interest and fascination for typography which I never really harboured before, and would love to develop this interest in further modules- experimenting with shape and form, as well as material used in the design process.

3. WHAT STRENGTHS CAN YOU IDENTIFY IN YOUR WORK AND HOW HAVE/WILL YOU CAPITALISE ON THESE?

-As aforementioned in this self-evaluation, I feel that I can see errors in my designs far more easily now, taking a more informed and analytical view as I work- not getting too involved or "falling for" a design too easily.
I have now opened my mind to many new ways of working and presenting my work, with the help of outside sources, research and influence- and feel inspired to try new methods and techniques. 
Taking influence from surface pattern and textile applications with methods of delivery such as screen-printing and digital textiles printing.
These methods help me to gauge an understanding of my design- the methods to which my style is most appropriate; learning what does, and what doesn't quite work.

4. WHAT WEAKNESSES CAN YOU IDENTIFY IN YOUR WORK, AND HOW WILL YOU ADDRESS THESE MORE FULLY?

I still have a tendency to over-complicate my work, and concepts for myself.
Coming from an Art & Design BTEC course, we were very driven towards a Fine Art approach, creating a "deep, meaningful, complex concept"- and this habit is certainly something I need to drop towards future modules- focus on the design, and the concepts will come naturally. Focus on the brief, not being "clever".

Throughout this module, I think I have perhaps pushed myself too hard, and not been realistic with my goals- trying to experiment and push my outcomes too much, and not focusing on the individual quality of the designs. In the future, I shall try to remember that quality is greater than quantity- and whilst it is good to experiment with outcomes, it is a lot more important to focus on factors such as layout, composition, and type.

5. IDENTIFY FIVE THINGS YOU WILL DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME, AND WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO GAIN FROM DOING THESE?

1. One of the main issues throughout this module has been my 'Speaking from Experience' brief, in which we were "allowed" a little more free-rein, and had the last real opportunity to be experimental with methods and techniques in the first year.
With a great admiration and interest in paper crafts, I decided to follow this route- originally planning a design outcome built upon photographing paper objects. 
However, fortunately, I realised (before it was too late) that the method of delivery just wasn't appropriate for the subject matter, and managed to change my designs accordingly.

I have learnt, especially from this project, but along with others from throughout the module, and the year, that the brief is what matters- not what I want to do. I am designing to meet a need, a requirement, for the client. I need to focus on what best suits the theme- not a style I want to practice, or carve out for myself.

2. Sleep- Through the entire year, though particularly this module, I have been really pushing myself to achieve the greatest quantity of design possible, though the tiredness this has caused, I believe, has affected the aesthetic outcome. With more careful planning, consideration, and time spent brainstorming designs are opposed to "diving straight in", I'm sure that I could produce designs that are to the high standard that I hope for as I progress onto the second year.

3. Appropriate research- Developed more throughout this project, though something I hope to continue to gain from. Researching from specific design-focused materials, books and web-based publications. Taking more influence from practitioners will give me more ideas, and stretch my imagination to see what is possible with my current, or future skills set.

4. Online tutorials- Again, something that I have already been exploring which has certainly helped my design practice, though I must take more advantage of. With little software skills to speak of before joining the course, software tutorials (online, via sites such as YouTube) have really helped to develop my understanding of design processes- learning shortcuts, how to apply textures onto Illustrator, etc.
These tutorials have already developed my software skills a great deal, and taking more influence and interest in them will certainly help withstanding the pace of the second and third year as I progress through the course.

5. Group work- Though I felt that the group dynamic was OK through the 'Communication Is A Virus' brief, I felt as though we could have done more to keep in touch, share ideas and, consequently, produce a more solid and successful design outcome. In future projects, I hope to gain more of a rapport with all group members (I'm sure this will come with the familiarity and confidence with other group members) so that we have more of a trust and bond within sharing our design ideas.

6. HOW WOULD YOU GRADE YOURSELF IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
5= EXCELLENT 4= VERY GOOD 3= GOOD 2= AVERAGE 1= POOR

ATTENDANCE =5
PUNCTUALITY =5 
MOTIVATION =4
COMMITMENT =5
QUANTITY OF WORK PRODUCED =4
QUALITY OF WORK PRODUCED =3
CONTRIBUTION TO THE GROUP =4

No comments:

Post a Comment