Saturday 7 May 2011

InDesign Workshop Brief: Creating my DPS.


Documenting the steps I took in creating my InDesign DPS to present to Lorenzo and fellow classmates for criting on Tuesday's type and grid session- potentially to be used as a final design if approved.


After initally setting up my dimensions in accordance to the brief, I created eight columns (including the bleed) to grid each side of the DPS...


...The simple griding structure complete on both sides of the DPS. I chose to use sixteen simple columns in total, as this would still allow me to have quite a linear and readable design, but with a little bit of maneuverability possible...


I really wanted to use the photograph I had taken of Beth a couple of days previously. I feel like it really expresses her character, and it had recieved great approval of fellow classmates- saying how lovely and happy she looked- exactly the image and side of her personality that I wanted to bring to light in the article. 
Also starting to experiment with quotes and typefaces...this being taken as a direct quote from the statement that Beth sent me for the InDesign text segment...


Going back to using a title from my design sketches and vectors- 'beth does design'- quite short and snappy, but it doesn't feel quite right. Using Gill Sans MT as a bold and clean uppercase typeface- the thin strokes keep it quite elegant without being flamboyantly embellished...


Originally, I had intended to put at least a couple of Beth's graphic design pieces into her DPS. However, when I added the pictures they seemed to get a little lost and look very out-of-context and out-of-place. In another image, I attempted editing onto the same teal/aqua coloured background by cutting around with the magic lasso tool, but again, it didn't look quite right. I decided to create the DPS design without Beth's design work, and focus on her personality and what makes design so special in her life...


...Trying a new composition and flipping the pages around. Not sure the portrait of Beth would look right on this side...might be at risk of getting lost within the inner margin...


Flipping the portrait to the left-hand side, I believe, worked far more effectively- with Beth's portrait turning inward to the centre margin, I think it creates a far more friendly and inviting design- drawing the eye inward to the page and adding a lot more visual interest and consistency in the format.

Changing the alignment and composition of my text- now tring a centre alignment. In this alignment and point size, the text frame was just too large, and was going to overlap over a single page (something I wanted to avoid at risk of loosing content in the inner margin or fold)...


Justifying the text right worked a lot more effectively- reflecting the portrait and format concisetency once more. Beginning to really like the design but again, the title just wasn't quite right...


Experimenting with more names and layouts- "I love to laugh" inspired by the song featured in Mary Poppins, along with a reflection of the image of Beth and her ligtht-hearted and cheerful attitude to life. Although the composition of the text was quite fun, it wasn't quite right with the confused structure as opossed to the very neatly aligned type and image elements...


Whilst listening to E.L.O on youtube, I was inspired by their great song "Mr Blue Sky" and struck a moment of inspiration for my title... "Mrs Blue Sky", happy, sunshiney and merry- Beth is undoubtedly one of the most joyful blue sky people I know. Justifying all of the text right, and experiementing with glyph question marks to highlight points of hierarchical text...


I began experiementing with different textures, colours and gradients for the right-hand side page of the DPS to align and match the left hand side well. Because of the natural vignette-effect of the portrait, this meant that certain sections were darker than others. To reflect this style to keep conistency once more, I used a gradient effect and the colour dropper to match the tones and shades exactly. I also really liked the effect that the shading created in the middle- almost like a fold in the centrefold inner margin- as if the design has already been read and enjoyed...


A nearly finalised design- keeping it simple and clean cut- a style which Beth and I both initially agreed upon and prefer, and a style which reflected in a lot of my inital research and sourcing of exisiting magazine DPS' (see my design context blog for images and sources- www.s-wilson1013-dc.blogspot.com)...


The final design, complete with heirarchical and attention-grabbing 50% opacity speech marks- highlighting Beth's personal statement about herself and her graphic design practice.
Overall, I am quite pleased with the design, especially considering it is my final real execution of the InDesign programme. Again, I'm really pleased that I took the time to photograph Beth in studio conditions, as I feel that this gives a far more quality and professional look to the design.

Looking forward to presenting this design on Tuesday and hopefully recieving some good feedback from tutor Lorenzo and my fellow groupmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment