Monday 9 May 2011

Speaking from Experience: Planning my Method of Delivery.


Over the weekend and today, I have taken time out to reflect over my chosen method of delivery for my Speaking from Experience brief as a reaction to the crit feedback I recieved on Friday. Starting to wonder what utensils and items and commonly and safely found in the kitchen, two items sprang to mind- paper napkins, and tea towels. Surley these could provide great experiments for printing recipes onto. Quite unique, and of course, completely user friendly, this could be an innovative as well as functional design- with an attractive visual design to boot.

Also, on a more selfish, un-related note, this also ties in with my passion for print, and my desire to experiment with further printing process, including digital textiles printing- of which I am planning to book in a session for Thursday 19th May...cutting it fine before the final crit date on Friday 20th, but at least I will be sure I have absolutely everything finished and complete.

Talking to technician Caroline today in the printing area at University, she suggested two fabrics to print onto:

-Cotton Upholstery (a thick, denim-like weave) and
-Cotton Satin (more luxurious, used in dressmaking) 

Whilst neither of these options would be suitable on a functional ground, I will undoubtedly experiment with these facilties, but am also going to start sourcing local printers and providers that can print onto the specific canvas-like material that is commonly found within tea towels.

A good site which I have visited before, 

I will hopefully be making a call to them in the very near future to enquire about their costings, services and turn-around times.

No comments:

Post a Comment